What is the Fitz-Barn Ride?
The 2014, 3rd Annual, Fitz-Barn is an unsupported ride/race from Fitzgerald's Bicycles in Victor, Idaho to Red Barn Bicycles in Hamilton, Montana.
Approximately 450 miles of dirt and gravel roads, two track, and rail trail. The terrain is varied and beautiful and will include mountain passes, sage brush highlands and everything in between.
Ride through the heart of the Yellowstone Ecosystem and large sections of the Tour Divide Mountain Bike Route.
You are responsible for your own safety, navigation and food throughout the ride. Riders must have the ability to ride long distances without assistance while carrying their own gear and food.
Wednesday, August 15, 2012
Saturday, August 11, 2012
Fortunately we have a solution! From Jackson, we'll head north on Hwy 278 to the Twin Lakes Road. At Twin Lakes turn left (west) and take the 2nd right north toward the Rock Creek Road. At Rock Creek, we'll head west again through the Highland Ranch to Gibbonsville Road. I have created a GPX file of that section for you to download.
Thanks to Jay and especially to Ron for figuring out this go around and speaking with the landowner to get permission to cross their property!
Since we are crossing private property let's be extra careful about picking up all our trash, closing any cattle gates we may go through, and being friendly to any folks & animals we may encounter.
I also have cue sheets by sections for anyone who may want them. They are in PDF files and include maps. Please shoot me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like me to send them to you electronically.
Friday, August 10, 2012
There are two options:
- You can rent a spot for $50 or
- If you have your own spot, tracking is $20
Tuesday, August 7, 2012
- Any sort of Bike but the 29er hardtails handle the rough roads best while loaded down.
- A custom frame bag from Hamilton Threadworks
- A Viscacha seat bag from Revelate Designs
- Sleeping Bag (I’m using a light weight 40 degree bag right now)
- Lightweight Bivy sack (I skipped this knowing the skies were clear)
- Sleeping Pad
- Long under wear top and bottom for sleeping (nice to get the clammy chamois off)
- Hat and gloves
- Thin down jacket
- Headlamp and Bearspray
- PBR and Donuts